The methods used were interviews, user testing in a lab environment and heuristic evaluation. The result of the research was eight rules of thumb when developing applications for the iPhone.
Eight rules of thumb
- Take advantage of learned behaviors
- Avoid interaction inconsistencies
- Provide clear conceptual link across widgets
- Put space between action widgets
- Plan for accidental overswiping
- Don’t rely exclusively on multi-touch
- Provide visual feedback for taps
- Provide interaction affordances
Check out the presentation for an in-depth explanation of the rules of thumb. If you’re interested in usability and interaction design I assure that you will find it an interesting read.
Thanks Alexei for the tip!